(104) Because I Said So by Dawn Meehan

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Nobody has ever said that being a parent is easy. But for blogger, Dawn Meehan, being a single mom to six kids is so far from easy she wouldn't be able to find easy with a GPS.

Because I Said So... is a collection of stories from her life as Mom. Sometimes funny, sometimes unique, sometimes cliche Dawn gives us a peek of her chaotic life. From baseball games to doing battle over messy rooms, her life isn't all that different than most moms. She just has to do it all by herself and sees humor in her situation instead of despair.

I grew up in a family of seven kids, so I have seen chaos up close and personal. I also have seen each parent working two or three jobs (out of the home) in order to provide food, clothing, and shelter for us seven kids. I think the thing that bugged me most about Dawn Meehan is that while, yes, she has a chaotic life, she does not see the blessing, at least mentioned in this book, of being able to stay home with her six kids. Most single Moms not only have to do everything she does, but also have to juggle careers outside of the home in order to provide for those kids. I do not know all of Dawn Meehan's circumstances, it is not really mentioned in the book, but staying at home, even working from home is not a luxury that most single Moms get.

I am not saying I didn't enjoy Because I Said So - I admittedly chuckled at several parts (the trip to the Outer Banks cracked me up!), but so much of what she talks about is typical in any family regardless of size. Overall I was just "meh" about the book. I think there are a lot of parts Moms of all walks of life can relate to, but I just felt the whole "single mom of six kids" was beaten like a dead horse.
Sarah said...

Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I do like the title. I see so many parents trying to explain to their 2-year old exactly why they can't have candy right before dinner, when I just tell my niece "because I said so" when I tell her no. Seems like a good life lesson ;-)

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.