(98)Promises to Keep by Jane Green

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It is official. Jane Green is my favorite author. I have loved her books for a while now. I even read her blog.
There is just something about her that just makes her seem so down to earth. So human. Her realness translates into every character she writes. You can't help but like her.

Her new book, Promises to Keep could almost be called a labor of love. I remember reading her blog when her beloved friend passed away from cancer. You can see the love in every word of Promises to Keep. It may not be the story of her friend's life, but it is a tribute to he life. And her death. Written in away, that I assure you, her friend would be very proud of.

Promises to Keep tells the story of a family. Callie and Steffi are the daughters of Honor and Walter. Reece is Callie's devoted husband and Lila is Callie's best friend. They are a family. When close to the five year anniversary of Callie's breast cancer rolls around, they are already breathing a sigh of relief. Until one day Callie blacks out while driving her mother and her sister. Their worst nightmare is realized. But as a family they circle the wagons and do everything they can to be there for Callie, Reece, and their kids.

Promises to Keep is a well written, easy read. Yet I cried myself through the last half of the book. The whole "cancer" theme is still too fresh to me. Almost two months now since the death of Aunt Mary and her death still haunts me. Cancer is a dreadful disease that leaves a wake of devastation. I don't need my favorite author to remind me of that fact. But I am glad to have read this book. You can't help but adore Callie & Steffi. You can't help but fall a little in love with Reece. You can't help but cry at Callie's story. Such a very good book. Great for the beach, but you better throw a box of tissues in that Beach Bag as well!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.