(97)Seven Year Switch by Claire Cook

Monday, June 28, 2010

Seven Year Switch is one of those novels that you pick up just for the cover. It just looks refreshing, doesn't it?

What it looks like is freedom. Which is totally appropriate for Claire Cook's newest novel. For the last seven years, Jill has been surviving. Existing only for her daughter. Her husband left her seven years ago and has now decided to walk back into their lives. Jill is torn, between the father of her child and this new man that has come into her life. When the opportunity to go to Costa Rica comes up Jill is hesitant to commit. She decides to go and the trip changes the way she is looking at life.

Claire Cook has a tradition of writing novels about women reinventing themselves. Which I imagine is pretty empowering if you are a woman in need of reinventing. I didn't read her last book because it was the concept was getting old for me, but the cover of Seven Year Switch was so inviting. I struggle with liking her books because they seem repetitive. The plot may vary, but the concept is the same. At this point in my life, as a newlywed who moved 1,000 miles away to start my new life, the "I am woman hear me roar" concept is just one that seems foreign to me. I am sure many of you out there can relate to what Claire Cook writes, so I say go for it, this book will be a perfect beach read for you. I hope you get out of it more than I did.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.