(23)Missing You by Harlan Coben

Monday, March 17, 2014

Missing You

Pages: 400
Publisher: Penguin Group
Publication Date: March 18, 2014


Kat Donovan is like her late father in many ways.  Both cops, both like their alcohol, both emotionally aloof. Kat thinks about her father every day, especially when the man who is in prison for killing him is just days away from his own death.  Even though Kat is so aloof she has people who love her, like her best friend Stacy.  Stacy means well when she buys her friend a years subscription to an online dating site, after all it has been eighteen years since Kat and her fiance broke up.  She should be ready to move on, right?  With a glass of wine Kat peruses the website to see a flash from the past.  Her ex is on the same dating website and his profile says "widower".  All the emotions are stirred up and after all those years he is just one email away.   It isn't long before Kat thinks that something is off and when a nineteen year old boy contacts her about his missing mother she knows that something is off.  Will she be able to find the missing woman and what does her ex have to do with her disappearance?

Harlan Coben has hit a home-run with Missing You. From the first page I was hooked and finished it in one day. (Yay for Saturdays!)  Online dating is so common these days, I know I dated men I met online prior to getting married and I think that is why I found myself so invested in this book. What happens in this novel could have very easily could have happened to me or any other person just looking for a human connection online. And that scares the snot out of me.  Even though all of the characters are flawed (some more than others) they also had their endearing qualities, too. Including Kat and her band of misfit friends.   The novel is extremely fast paced and once things start falling into place it moves very quickly.

Bottom line, I have been a Harlan Coben fan for many, many years, but I cannot remember a more relevant novel from the author.  From the online dating to LGBT issues, I really found myself engrossed and connected in ways that I don't remember in his recent works.   If you are looking for a good and solid mystery, you will find one no better than Missing You.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.