(124)The Walking Dead Volume 1 Days Gone By - by Robert Kirkman & Tony Moore

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Walking Dead
Volume 1: Days Gone Bye 
by Robert Kirkman & Tony Moore

Publication Date: September 7, 2006
Pages: 144


I remember when The Walking Dead first aired on Halloween two years ago.  We were still living in Casper, but David was in Utah trick-or-treating with the kids.  And I was too chicken to watch the show by myself.  Flash forward two years - we are living in Utah (to be with the kids) and David left today to go back to Casper for work.  And  I read the first volume of the comic while all alone.  I feel like such a big girl. *grin*

For those who don't know, The Walking Dead is set in the not too distant future.  Deputy Rick Grimes awakens from a coma to find the world has been turned upside down and his family is gone.  The world has been infected by something that is turning ordinary humans into Zombies.  The Walkers are every where and Rick finds himself in a few precarious positions as he heads into Atlanta, where he suspects his wife, Lori and son, Carl have gone to escape the Walkers.  Will he be able to find his family before the Walkers get him?

I have been a fan of The Walking Dead ever since the very first episode.  I have the first three novels to read and with the upcoming season, I thought I would give it a read.  It was a very fast read at just 144 pages, but it was well worth the read.  There was one major "happening" that just happened at the end of Season 2 of the show, but it happened at the end of Volume One in the graphic novel.  The other thing that really struck me was the DETAIL that the artist, Tony Moore, took with the artwork.  There are a few full page frames that made a huge impact with me.  He certainly conveyed the emotion in a way that impacts the reader. 

Bottom line, while graphic novels really aren't my normal genre, I am really glad that I read The Walking Dead. I will most certainly read more of the graphic novels and of course, I am counting down the days until the third season starts.  October 14,  just in case you were wondering...
Sara Lucinda Bell said...

I left off on I think number 14 but I loved these. Very different from the show though, I must warn you!
Also, the artist changes at some point.

Lisa Mandina said...

I had a friend who has also enjoyed these graphic novels. I don't normally like them, but I may have to read them if you've given them a good rating!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.