(111) Lucy by Laurence Gonzalez

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lucy is an absolutely wonderful novel! But, I am going to give the disclaimer that the subject matter might be a bit tough for some readers to swallow.

Jenny Lowe is an anthropologist is the jungles of the Congo when she discovers a murdered colleague. She rescues his fourteen year old daughter, Lucy, and some of his journals and flees back to Chicago. Once they get settled back into Chicago, Jenny starts digging through the journals and discovers that Lucy's father has done the unthinkable. He has impregnated a primate, a Bonobo, using his own sperm. Lucy is the result of that experimentation. Lucy is a hybrid creature. Jenny makes a vow to keep Lucy's secret and keep her safe for as long as possible.

Even though she is a Humanzee, Lucy has all of the characteristics of a human. She is an extremely attractive, extremely intelligent young woman. They are on vacation when Lucy becomes extremely ill with a disease only found in primates. Which starts the Government's involvement in Lucy's life. From Senate hearings to top secret research facilities, Lucy is spat on and made the subject of discussion all over the world. Will she ever be left to be the normal teenage girl she wants to be?

The first thing I did after I finished the book is Google Bonobo. This is what I found. A beautiful
looking creature that is so obviously related to the Human Species.

I absolutely loved this book. I don't know how much of the story, from the Anthropology standpoint, was accurate, but it does not matter. The book was obviously fiction, but it made you believe that it could be real. Lucy was such a darling character that you, the reader, couldn't help but want nothing but happiness and peace for her. My heart just ached for everything that she was put through and I was very satisfied with the ending.

I can understand that not everyone may embrace a novel about humans and primates procreating, an ethically questionable move at best, but I loved this book. It was well written, engrossing, and compassionate. Three of my favorite qualities in a book. Have you read it yet? I would love to know what others thought.
Linda C said...

Hi Charlotte. Loved your posting. It was concise, but engaging. Made me want to read the book. Right now I'm involved with the Dean Koontz Frankenstein series. Love it. It's kind of about the creation of as new type species. Looking forward to reading your future posts. Linda C

Charlotte's Web of Books said...

Linda!!!! So good to "see you"!! How are you liking the Dean Koontz series?

Linda C said...

I'm really loving Dean Koontz Frankenstein. Have you read them? No. 4 just came out. I have been wanting to read them and I found No, 2 and 3 at a used bookstore, so I bought no.1 at B&N. They are fun and funny - creepy, but not too scary. Hey, chat me up sometime when you get a minute.

Lisa Mandina said...

I'm so jealous that you read this! It is on my list to read soon! Did you get it on your Nook of course? :-) Glad you liked it. I'll have to get it soon.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.