(36) In The Woods by Tana French

Sunday, March 7, 2010


I know that I am late to the party for this book. In The Woods was one of those books that lived up to the hype.

In The Woods is a gritty mystery set in the suburbs of Dublin. (and we all know how much I love Ireland!) The story centers around two detectives on the Murder Squad. Cassie Maddox and Rob Ryan. They have been assigned to a case that has rocked the sleepy little suburb. The brutal murder and rape of little Katy Devlin hits especially close to home for Rob, as he is the sole survivor of a crime that is eerily similar. Will Maddox and Ryan be able to solve the grizzly crime or will they be victim to their pasts?

I really, really liked In The Woods. Tana French did an amazing job of weaving a tale that hypnotizes her readers. The relationship between Maddox and Ryan is just as appealing of a story as the "whodunit". Tana French has us on her hook and so desperately does the reader want a happy ever after for all involved, but as we learn, it is not always that easy. For the past holds them b0th captive and their current case will either break them or make them stronger.

In The Woods is a positively chilling book that could give Dennis Lehane a run for his money. Tana French has a way with words that will send chills down your spine. I love a good mystery. Especially a mystery that I can't figure out on my own, one in where I need the author's help to solve the crime. Once I find an author like that, I stick with them.
Sara Bell said...

So glad to read your review, I basically agreed, although I did still feel a little hungry after that ending! I have The Likeness on my list of books to look for next though... the author's style was amazing, don't you think? =]

Disneypal said...

This book sounds good.

Good luck on your 100 books in 75 days challenge - I have faith that you can do it !

Alicia said...

I liked this book too, but the ending left me wanting more! On the other hand - I LOVED The Likeness!

Charlotte's Web of Books said...

Sara, yes I agree! I completely loved the author's writing style. And I excited to read The Likeness.!


Thank you Disneypal!!

Wingnut said...

Just finished reading this one and really enjoyed it. Thanks for another great recommendation!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.