(71)The Dream Daughter by Diane Chamberlain

Saturday, October 13, 2018


The year is 1970 and Carly Sears is mourning the loss of her husband, Joe.  He died just weeks after arriving in Vietnam.  Carly was devastated, but the news of her pregnancy is the only thing keeping her going.   She is going to cherish and protect this baby with everything she's got. It is all that she has left of Joe.  When she finds out that the baby has a heart condition her whole world crumbles.  Her baby will not live long once born. She is going to lose the only piece of Joe that she has left.  Until her brother-in-law, Hunter approaches Carly with an option that is so unbelievable that Carly fears for Hunter's sanity.   What he asks of Carly will force her to suspend belief and put her trust in a man with unbelievable tales to tell.   But it is the only option she has to save her baby's life.  Will it be enough?  Will she be able to save her baby?  And at what cost?

Diane Chamberlain has certainly outdone herself with The Dream Daughter.   I want to be very careful with what I say here because I want you to be just as surprised as I was with the true premise of this novel.   What The Dream Daughter boils down to is a grieving wife desperate to hold on to a part of her husband. I really liked Carly.  She was smart and strong and level-headed even in the face of extreme adversity.   Whenever I read a book like this I try to put myself in that situation.  What would I have done if I was Carly?  I probably would have made the same choices that she did, but I would have gone a step further when she was. ahem, in New York City. I also really liked Hunter and everything that he did to help Carly, but her sister was a bit of a difficult person. The end was a bit unexpected for me, but I can understand why the author ended the story the way she did.  And the was perfect, exactly the kind of closure that a reader needs. - CLICK HERE FOR SPOILERS.
Bottom Line - The Dream Daughter was a wonderful tale about love, faith, and trust.  As always, Diane Chamberlain creates an inviting world for her readers to discover and challenges them to think outside of the box that they live in.  Great book.

Details:




Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.