(14)Not Without You by Harriet Evans

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Not Without You

Pages: 448
Publication Date: February 11, 2014


UK transplant, Sophie Leigh is a famous movie star by anyone's standards.  She has several hit Rom-Com's under her belt and even has a world famous catch-phrase.  To the casual tabloid reader it appears as if Sophie Lee has everything a girl could want, but Sophie Lee knows what she is missing.  She doesn't have many friends, she is "dating" her much older producer,  and frankly she is tired of making fluff "Rom-Coms" that have no substance.   Sophie wishes she could be more like her idol, the elusive Eve Noel.  Eve was a star in the 1950's and Sophie is so impressed by her she even bought her old house in Hollywood. Sophie is determined to get Eve to agree to a role in her next movie, but things go from bad to worse when someone starts breaking into Sophie's home and leaves threatening messages.  Will they be able to find out who is threatening Sophie before something tragic happens and will Sophie find the happiness that she so desperately seeks?

I have always been a big fan of Harriet Evans and her books set in the UK, but I admit I was a little excited to read one set in America. I really enjoyed how the author told both Sophie's story and Eve's story in alternating voices.  I also really enjoyed how much the two women's lives paralleled each other.  Even though they were decades apart they really had so much in common from their UK upbringing to the same type of relationship with their parents.  There were so many background characters that I enjoyed, too.  They really added color to the story.   I will say that I had figured out (almost immediately) who was leaving Sophie the threatening messages and white roses.  That disappointed me a little, but not enough to keep me from liking the book.

Bottom line, if you like Hollywood style stories you will enjoy Not Without You. The characters are interesting and multi-dimensional.  Even at 400+ pages, Not Without You is a quick read! Be sure to let me know what you think!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.