(153)Invisible by Carla Buckley

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Invisible

Pages:400
Publication Date: December 11, 2012


Dana left her small Midwestern hometown of Black Bear, Minnesota nearly eighteen years ago and has never looked back.  But when she receives a phone call from her niece, Peyton, saying that her mom, Dana's sister, Julie is gravely ill.  After something goes terribly wrong on a construction site that Dana was in charge of, she decides maybe a trip to Black Bear would be a good thing.  Only she is too late and Dana arrives in time to bury her sister.  In the days after Julie's funeral Dana learns that the disease that afflicted her sister has struck several people in Black Bear. Dana does not believe that it is just a coincidence and starts digging around into the town's manufacturing companies.  Could they be slowly poisoning the residents of Black Bear?

I read Carla Buckley's first novel, The Things That Keep Us Here almost three years ago, and I enjoyed it so much I actually read it again this past summer.  So, I was all ready for another book from this author.  I jumped at the chance to read Invisible. While it didn't suck me in as quickly as I had expected, I really did enjoy the story.  I enjoyed watching Dana get to know Peyton.  And you know what - there is a twist there that I haven't even mentioned, the reason why Dana left Black Bear all those years ago and never returned.  It adds even more of a dramatic flair to the story.  While it hasn't been eighteen years since I was "home", I only get back once or twice a year, having just been there I could totally relate to Dana's feelings driving down the streets after all these years.  The more things change the more they stay the same...

Bottom line, Invisible is a great dramatic read with a great environmental message. There are layers to this story that get peeled away with every page you turn.  If you are looking for a good read to take you away from the hustle and bustle of the Holidays, then look no further!
Sara Lucinda Bell said...

This one sounds so good! It's definitely on my list now!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.