(184)Secrets by Freya North

Friday, December 30, 2011


Secrets

Publication Date: January 1, 2012
Pages: 496


Okay - this really shouldn't be necessary for me to say, but here it is,  if you are going to write a 500 page Chick Lit novel, it really needs to be a GRIPPING page turner or you are going to lose this ADD Chick Lit fan.

Secrets is set in England and is about a woman, Tess, who takes her baby girl, Emmaline, and escapes out of London.  She winds up taking a house sitting position in a quaint little village working for the handsome architect, Joe. At first they are as polite as strangers passing on the street, but soon their lives start to entwine in many different ways.  But will the Secrets that each of them are keeping stop their relationship from growing into something more meaningful?

Secrets is the first book by Freya North that I have read so I wasn't quite sure what I was get myself into with a 496 page Chick Lit novel. I will be honest, it could have been about 200 pages shorter and still had a full, complete story.  Even though I thought it was a bit long winded, it was a good story.  I found myself getting invested in the relationship between Joe and Tess.  I did think he was a bit of a dog towards the beginning of their relationship, but he redeemed himself in the end.  I also loved the role that Wolfe, Joe's dog, played into the story.  What a wonderful pooch!  Bottom line is this, I do think it is worth the read, but you just need to prepare yourself for the 496 pages.
Lisa Mandina said...

That is a pretty long chick lit book. Although I do like when dogs play a role!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.