(183)The Demon Lover

Thursday, December 29, 2011


The Demon Lover

Publication Date: December 27, 2011
Pages : 448


I was just in junior high, early high school when I had finished all of the Danielle Steele books in the public library and moved on to books by Victoria Holt, Mary Stewart, and Barbara Michaels. Yes, I admit it, my early love of reading can be attributed to Gothic romance novels.

Author Carol Goodman, writing under the name Juliet Dark, pays homage to those Gothic novelists of my misspent youth in her new book, The Demon Lover.  She combines the old favorite, Gothic romance with the new favorite, Paranormal romance and comes up with a steamy page turner that all women will love.

Callie McFay has grown up on the same Gothic novels that I did.   She has taken her love of all things Gothic and turned it into a career as a Professor teaching all about the classics to college students.  She has just accepted a position at Fairwick College in Upstate New York.  From the first moment she saw the Honeysuckle House, she knew she would accept the position at Fairwick and buy the house that was once owned by Gothic Romance novelist, Dahlia LaMonte.  From her first night in the House, Callie has been experiencing the most erotic dreams starring "The Demon Lover".  It is a stormy Thanksgiving weekend when Callie discovers that the dreams are more real than she thought and the Paranormal world full of Fairies, Incubus, and Witches are right at her doorstep. With the ultimate battle between good and evil about to be waged on her doorstep, will Callie be able win the battle and find true love?

The Demon Lover is everything a fan of Romance novels could ever want in a book.  A Gothic setting in a quaint little college town, extremely steamy sex scenes, and references to your favorite authors such as Charlaine Harris.  I have seen some comparison between The Demon Lover and Discovery of Witches, but that comparison is not really accurate, in my opinion.  I did not get the same kind of "love story" vibe with The Demon Lover, but definitely a "sex" vibe.  I did enjoy this book, though. It is has a way of hooking you - and the ending, while not what I expected,  gave a hint that there is more to come!
Lisa Mandina said...

This book sounds really good!

Marybeth said...

I read this book early on and I agree with you, it defiantly has a sex vibe.

Glad you enjoyed it!

-Marybeth P.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.