(161) I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson

Friday, October 14, 2011


I Don't Know How She Does It
by Allison Pearson

Publication Date: October 1, 2002
Pages: 352


For ONCE I got to "read" a book before I saw the movie! I saw the previews for this movie, and being a SJP fan, I couldn't wait to see the movie,but first I wanted to read the book.

Having bought it from Audible, I was a pleasantly surprised to discover that the book is actually set in England.  Kate Reddy is not your typical British Mum.  She is literally juggling her career as a successful Hedgefund Manager, being Mum to two small children, and being a wife to Richard, an architect.  Kate feels the pressures of trying to be perfect in all of her roles.  Whether it be staying up until the wee hours of the morning to prepare treats for Emily's school or rushing off to America to sell a prospective client on her abilities to manage their money.  Kate is constantly on the go.  She guiltily relies on their nanny, Paula, to help out with the children, but as the "main breadwinner" Kate feels as if she is trapped in her career or risk an impoverished life.  Will she ever be able to enjoy being a mother and a wife without sacrificing her career or will she end up dropping a ball and losing it all?

I was really surprised at the quality of writing you will find within this book.  I don't mean that as an insult to other "Chick Lit" books, because you know I love me some fluff, but Allison Pearson's writing  was very quite insightful and often times hysterical. Several times throughout the book (I listen while I walk) I wished I had a piece of paper & pen to write down some meaningful line that I KNOW would appeal to every Mother out there, working or not.  The infamous "Mommy Wars" wage on, but they have nothing on the internal war that Kate Reddy battled everyday.  I am really excited to see this movie now, because I am really excited to see how it translates to the big screen.   Have you seen the movie?  What did you think?

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.