(160)Love Times Three by Joe, Alina, Vicki, and Valerie Darger

Thursday, October 13, 2011


Love Times Three
By The Dargers

Publication Date: September 13, 2011
Pages: 304


I blame it all on Bill Paxton. My fascination with the Polygamous lifestyle that is.  I watched Big Love from the very beginning and I belong to an online community where there was a big bruhaha over this show, so I could not resist watching.  And I was hooked.

Then the Brown's came along with their TLC show, Sister Wives. It aired not long after I got married (for the first time) and had moved far away from my family.  I admittedly was a little enamored with Janelle, Meri, and Christine.  I envied their companionship.  There was something very appealing about having Sister Wives, but there is that whole, two other women sleeping with *MY* husband thing, so I decided the "Principle" was not for me.

I saw the Dargers on Good Morning America and promptly bought their book, Love Times Three.  And you know what, I really enjoyed their story.  They seem like your average family with the same ups and downs as any marriage or family.  They each, Joe and his wives,  told their stories in alternating chapter and shared their experiences with plural marriages.  What their childhood was like in a Polygamous family, what their courting was like, and what their life has been like over the last twenty years.  Even a few of their older children had chapters where they briefly talk about their family life.   It was really quite heartwarming.

The Darger's are not the perfect family, but neither are they anywhere remotely like Warren Jeffs, the image we all default to when we hear "Polygamous".  We all know that the Hendrickson's are a fictional family, but they started to plant the seed that Polygamy is not as criminal as we are led to believe.  Then we met the Brown's.  And while Kody Brown is NOT the kind of man I would ever want to marry, he obviously loves his family and strives to do right by all of them.  Now we have the Darger's and I truly believe that their "version" of Polygamy should not be labeled a crime. Warren Jeffs, yes. Joe Darger and Kody Brown - not even close.  Besides, as long as the parties involved are consenting adults,  to each their own, right?


Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.