(87)The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson

Sunday, June 6, 2010


I spent most of yesterday in Sweden. Following up with Lisbeth Salander & Mikael Blomvkist in the final book in Stieg Larsson's bestselling trilogy, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. The trilogy holds three of the top five spots on B&N's Bestseller List.

I have been advocating this series ever since I read the first book. I have heard a lot of feedback from readers that it has been difficult to get past the hard to pronounce Swedish names and it is a deterrent to finishing the books. Well, I encourage you to make up your own names for the characters if that is what it takes to get you through. I would hate to see you miss Literature history in the making. Make no mistake, Steig Larsson will be popular for generations to come.

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest is a satisfying conclusion to the story that has captured the attention of millions. The book picks up right where The Girl Who Played With Fire left off. Now I am going to be careful in what I say as to not give away much if you have not finished the second book yet, just know that The Girl Who Kicks The Hornet's Nest is mostly about preparing the defense for one of two main characters. Great detail is given to the history of Zalenchenko and how he came to Sweden, that gets to be a bit dull, but it is just Larsson's way of character development. By the third novel, we should all be used to his style of writing. It all comes to a head with Blomkvist's sister leading the defense team. One scene during the trial had me yelling for support in a way that Grisham has never inspired.

I admit I am a bit sad to come to the end of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. The writing is some of the best writing I have ever come across. The story one of the most captivating stories I have ever read. Stieg Larsson could be called a genius and I admit that I am a bit sad that we will not have a new book to anticipate. Will there ever be someone who can fill his shoes? I don't know, but I am not going to stop looking!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.