(67) The Virgin of Small Plains by Nancy Pickard

Monday, April 12, 2010

If you ever want to know what life is like in a small Midwestern town, all you need to do is pick up The Virgin of Small Plains. Thanks, Nancy Pickard, now I am incredibly homesick for the Midwest's violent spring storms.

On January 23, 1987 in Small Plains, Kansas, a young woman was found naked and dead in the midst of a raging blizzard. What happens next can only happen in a small town. There is a cover up of epic proportions, not only involving the towns most powerful men, but their children as well.

It is seventeen years later and the past is coming back to haunt them all. Will the truth finally be revealed and will the Virgin of Small Plains finally be given the proper burial that she deserves.

I have seen this book on the shelves for many years now. I had no idea that the author was from the KC metro or that her books were set so close to home. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There was a fair balance of gore, mystery, and romance. Without an excess of any of them, making it a book that will appeal to men and women alike.
Mimi said...

I loaned it to a friend and fellow Pea who is from Kansas, as I agree, it evokes the setting so amazingly well.
I also thought it was an interesting storyline.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.