(39)Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson

Sunday, May 3, 2020



Amy Whey is leading a perfectly normal life in the suburbs of Florida. She has a husband that she loves, a step-daughter that she adores, and a young son who she worships. One night at the neighborhood book club a new woman joins them.  From the minute Amy meets Roux she has a feeling of unease. Something about that woman is off and she does not like the way Roux forced her way into book club and their lives. And the next day she discovers why she was so uneasy. Roux is a viper and she has one purpose for being there.  Blackmailing Amy. Somehow or another Roux knows the truth about Amy's past. She knows the truth about what happened that night when Amy was just fifteen. Roux is convinced that Amy will pay anything to keep those secrets in the past, but Amy will not give in without a fight. She is not about to let Roux ruin her perfectly normal life, but will she be able to find out Roux's secrets before it is too late?

I was about to give up on Never Have I Ever more than once.  The beginning seemed to drag, but I think that I have gotten too used to the fast-paced psychological thrillers. I am glad that I didn't give up because Never Have I Ever delivers a treat of a twist. Joshilyn Jackson developed the characters in such a way that by the end of the book I felt that I truly understood their motives.  I loved Amy Whey and her "never give in" attitude. She was NOT about to let this woman come in and ruin her life. She was fiercely protective of not only her family but Char as well. I could even respect Roux's tenacity. She was a complete bitch, don't get me wrong, but I could respect the tenacity. I loved to read the dialogue between Roux and Amy because it was like a verbal wrestling match. There were so many twists and turns that I found my mouth hanging open more than once. CLICK HERE FOR SPOILERS. The end was satisfying in every way.  No unanswered questions, no wishing for something different.  It was a really great ending. 

Bottom Line - It was with Never Have I Ever that I realized that I have become so accustomed to the fast-paced thrillers that I forgot how to appreciate the slow-build of a story. I am glad that I stuck with this one because the payoff was superb. 

Details: 

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.