(56)Give Me Your Hand by Megan Abbott

Sunday, August 19, 2018


Kit first met Diane Flemming at cross country camp in high school. Their friendship started one night when four girls were sitting around telling their secrets.   Kit told her secret, the one involving a much older man and a dark car. Her secret shocked the others, but she thought it would be the last time that she saw them.   But it wasn't.  Later that year Diane shows up at her school and soon the two are best friends who are competing for a top Chemistry scholarship.  And then Diane tells Kit her secret.  And it is worse that Kit could ever imagine.  They make it to graduation and Kit is relieved to know that she never has to see Diane again, even though her secret is one that she will never forget.

It is ten years later when Kit's boss tells her that they are bringing in one of the greatest scientfic minds to help with the million dollar research grant they just received to research PMMD.  When Diane walks in, Kit's world is rattled.  She gets drunk one night and tells one of her colleagues Diane's secret.  And then Diane discovers a new secret about Kit that could destroy everything she has worked so hard to achieve.  Will Kit be able to keep Diane from revealing what she knows and at what cost?

I am not going to sugarcoat it, I struggled with this one. Kit and Diane were both had rough childhoods and were very ambitious women with one thing in mind - success. At any cost.  Kit was on the verge of  having all of her career dreams come true when Diane came back into her life.   The author tells the story in a "Then" and "Now" type of narrative, so you get the full sordid history between the two girls.  I have read every book by Megan Abbott and I usually find them engaging and suspensful. With Give Me Your Hand it just all seemed - implausible. And that really disappointed me. The part where the author lost me was in the lab - an important scene, but it  had me saying "Come on, really?"  - CLICK HERE FOR SPOILERS 

Bottom Line - I really wanted to like Take My Hand as much as I liked Megan Cabbott's other books.  I just couldn't.  I would be really interested to hear what others thought of this book, maybe I was just having an off day.

Details:
  • Give Me Your Hand by Megan Abbott
  • Pages: 352
  • Publisher: Little, Brown, and Company
  • Publication Date: 7/17/18
  • Buy it Here!


Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.