(49)The President's Shadow by Brad Meltzer

Saturday, June 20, 2015


Our favorite Archivist, Beecher White, is back in Brad Meltzer's new book, The President's Shadow.  The First Lady finds a severed arm while gardening on the White House lawn and sends the President's security into a scurry.  How did the arm get there?  Who does the arm belong to? And what does that scrap of paper clutched in his hand mean?  Beecher White and the Culpepper Ring are called in to help find answers.  As Beecher starts searching for answers he realizes that it is all tied to the past and soon he realizes that this past is intertwined with his own past.   Will he be able to find  out the truth before more body parts start turning up?

My very first Brad Meltzer novel was The Inner Circle several years ago and I enjoyed it, so when I noticed The President's Shadow available on Netgalley I jumped at the chance to read it.  We get to meet up with some of the same characters, like Marshall, and Nicco, and Clementine.  Crazy or not, they certainly add a certain "something" to the story.  One of the things I loved about both books was the fast paced nature of the story.  The mystery and espionage is really what I needed to "cleanse my pallet" after all of those beach reads. I also really enjoy the "secret" history of America that is revealed in these books.  How much of it is factual, I cannot say.  But the National Treasure-esque style of the book really made it fun.

Bottom line - The President's Shadow is a bit of a deviation from my normal reads, but it is worth the read if you are looking for something different.  Suspenseful, fast-paced, and guaranteed to suck you in.

Details:

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.