Happy New Year!

Thursday, January 1, 2015


Every year the one thing you can count on is that everybody and their brother puts out a "Best of 2014" list. I love reading the "Best of 2014" lists because I love to compare lists and get other people's thoughts on books I either read or didn't read.  But the thing that gets me about "Best of " lists,  is often times the lists are printed weeks before the year is actually over.  I hesitate to do that because what if I read the best book ever on New Year's Eve? What then?  Do you revise your list?  Do you move it to a "Best of 2015" list? So I thought I would hold off doing my year-end list until it was really the end of the year.

My "Best of 2014" is a mixture of chick lit, memoirs, mysteries, and dystopian. A little bit of everything. As You Wish by Cary Elwes was a fun memoir about a a movie that brings back lots of memories with every line and every "As you wish!"  

Station Eleven made the "Best of 2014" list for just about everybody, myself included.The dystopian tale focused on a traveling Shakespeare troupe captivated everyone who dared to pick up this book.   I think it was the only book of the year that I read to universally make the "Best of 2014" list.


I think my favorite book of the year has to go to What Nora Knew.  Not many people would even dare to put a Chick Lit novel on the "Best of 2014" list, but it is one that I completely adored.  Linda Yellin's homage to the late, great Nora Ephron was perfect in every way. The light-hearted feel to the book was exactly like what you would expect to find in the middle of a Nora Ephron movie.

What books made it to the top of your "Best of 2014" list?  Were they books found on other lists or only on yours?  What made them shoot right to the top of your list?  And for reference, I have included links to several of  the "Best of 2014" lists.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.