(38)The House on Blackberry Hill by Donna Alward

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The House on Blackberry Hill

Pages: 320

Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: April 29, 2014


Abby Foster arrives in Jewell Cove with a mission. She wants to get in, deal with her Great-Aunt's estate and get back to Canada and the rest of her life. She didn't even know that she had a Great-Aunt let alone that she owned a decrepit mansion in a town along the Maine coast.  Abby is admittedly surprised by what she finds at the house on Blackberry Hill.  Although in desperate need of repair, Abby can see the beauty and splendor through the dust and splintered wood.  While exploring her new house, Abby starts to become familiar with her family history. and  discovers that her "new" house, may have a lot of skeletons in the closet. Even with the skeletons, Abby plans on getting the house ready to sell and with the help of the very handsome contractor, Tom they uncover the grandeur that the house once possessed.   What Abby doesn't expect is that not only does she fall for her contractor, but she is starting to fall for the quaint little town and the House on Blackberry Hill  Will Abby go through with the sale or has she found her forever home?

I think what I enjoyed most about The House on Blackberry Hill was the house.  The author did such a great job at describing the grand old house. I have always had a bit of "house lust" and I really enjoyed her descriptions, especially the description of the library in the house.  Living in and restoring an old mansion like that is really one of my dreams.  The residents of Jewell Cove also really added a bit of flavor to the story.  But, I will be honest and say that as much as I liked Abby and Tom and didn't "feel" the chemistry. I was pleased with the way the story ended, but I just wish that *I* would have had a little more chemistry with Tom and Abby.

Bottom line, The House on Blackberry Hill is a romance novel about a man, a  woman, and a beautiful old mansion. While I thought the romantic scenes could have used a little more steam, I did enjoy the story and the architectural beauty described by the author.  If you enjoy big old houses, then you will enjoy The House on Blackberry Hill. 

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.