(102)Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker

Monday, December 23, 2013

Ten Tiny Breaths

Publication Date: February 12, 2013
Pages: 256 


Kacey Cleary is a mess.  She knows it, her younger sister, Livie,  knows it and anyone who meets Kacey knows it.  Four years ago a drunk driver ruined her life.  She was in the car with her parents, her boyfriend, and her best friend when there was a tragic accident.  Kacey was the only survivor from their car.  She may have survived the accident, she may have survived rehab, she may have survived her uncle squandering away their inheritance,  but she is not living.   Rather than leave Livie in questionable surroundings she takes her younger sister and moves to Miami.  Even with the walls Kacey has built around herself it is not long before Livie and Kacey are part of a "family".    Their neighbor Storm and her daughter Mia have welcomed them with open arms.  Their co-works at Penny's have also taken Kacey under their wings.  And then their neighbor, Trent.  The hot guy who lives in 1D has sparked a fire in Kacey that she has kept buried ever since the accident. As things heat up between Kacey and Trent  she realizes that her past is the only thing preventing her from a happy future.  Will she face her past head on?  And what happens when she realizes that Trent is keeping something from her about his past?

Ten Tiny Breaths was a really quick read for me.  I had pretty much figured out the "twist" early on, but it didn't keep me from devouring the book.  Kacey is pretty hard core in a lot of ways and her "edge" reminded me a little bit of Lisbeth Salander.  Not the techy aspect of it, but the hard core aspect.  The "broken" quality that both characters possess.  And you know I can't say that I blame Kacey either. If I had to endure what she did I am pretty sure that I would be broken, too.  I really enjoyed the dynamics that Kacey and Livie had with Storm and Mia.  It was sweet and just goes to show you that "family" can be found anywhere.

Bottom line, while Ten Tiny Breaths is a bit predictable it is still a book worth reading.  The characters are multi-layered and interesting characters to get to know.   This book is considered a YA novel, but I caution parents of younger teens that some of the the scenes are not appropriate for younger readers, at least in my house.  Maybe read it for yourself first and let me know what you think!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.