(48)The Red Book by Deborah Copaken Kogan

Monday, April 9, 2012

The Red Book 

Publication Date: April 3, 2012
Pages 368


Is there anything more stressful than attending a class reunion? Whether it be High School or College, there are people out there (like me) who have great fears about returning for class reunions.

The Red Book is a book about four college roommates returning to Harvard for their twentieth class reunion. Clover, Addison, Mia and Jane graduated twenty years ago with the world in their hands.  They were so sure that they had their lives planned out and were sure nothing would stop them.  Here it is twenty years later and their lives are all spinning out of control in ways that they never dreamed. Addison's marriage is falling apart,  Clover just lost her Wall Street job with the recent crash, Mia is a Hollywood Wife when all she wanted was to be a Hollywood Star and Jane's job for a newspaper has been eliminated.  But according to The Red Book,kind of like a "Who's Who" of Harvard alumni, put out by Harvard Alumni their lives are all rainbows and kittens.  Will they be able to come clean with the women they once knew best or will they try to keep up appearances for the sake of the reunion?

The reviews for The Red Book have all been fabulous, but I have to be honest, I had a hard time getting into this one.  The characters were really hard for me to like. The way the book opens with Addison going to jail, and her reaction to that little trip, would have been humorous if it weren't so over the top.  As the weekend goes on, each of the four friends confront parts of their past. And are forced to deal with issues in their current lives while finally being honest with themselves and their classmates.

I don't know if my mind was preoccupied with my upcoming vacation or if the book was really not one to hold my interest, but I really had a hard time getting into this one.  Give it a read and let me know if I should give it another try.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.