Monday, January 30, 2012

(12)Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Publication Date: January 28, 1987
Pages: 309


If my title of "Last person on the planet to read The Help" is questionable, I most certainly can claim the title as "The Last Person on the Planet to Read Harry Potter."  My Step-Daughter asked us to get the movies to watch and since I was looking for something new to watch on the treadmill, I decided to it was high time to read/watch Harry Potter.

Since I only spend an hour at a time on the treadmill, it took me longer to watch the movie than it did to read the book.  If you don't know, Harry Potter, is the story of a young boy who discovers on his eleventh birthday that he is a Wizard who goes off to school to study witchcraft and wizardry.

I think I was more impressed with the cinematic beauty of the movie than I was with the actual book.  I do think that, at least with the first book, that the movie stuck pretty close to the story-line of the book.  J.K Rowling's words truly come to life in the movie.  It was quite impressive.  Do I think the book is the "greatest story ever told" - not yet.  But it is only book one.  Ask me again when I finish the series.

Have you read the Harry Potter series?  What was your favorite book in the series and do you think the movies stay true to the books?


3 comments:

Sara Bell said...

I'm also a recent addition to the Harry Potter club. I had read the first and second books a lot time ago and just couldn't stand them.
I read the third and fourth last year and found them to be very interesting. I agree, they aren't the best books in the world, but they're good enough to keep me coming back. I haven't watched all the movies yet either. The only one I really remember is the fourth, since it was the most recent, and I was frustrated by a pretty key character being replaced, obviously just to save on time.

Lisa said...

This is the only Harry Potter book I ever read and I do recall the movie being very faithful to it. After the first one, both of my boys decided they were going to read the books on their own. I have seen all of the movies and enjoyed them.

Mimi said...

My mom just sent me a link that said, "How to read a Harry Potter book in a week" and asked me if I thought it was a post about reading very slowly ;)

I have read them more than once, but not as obsessively as others have read them. I'd say my favorite of the early ones is #2, "The Chamber of Secrets" and then probably the last one.

Why I Read...

I remember the carefree summer days when I used to ride my bike to the public library to pick out new books. I would go almost daily to find books to read. I read to learn. I read to explore the world. I read to escape. I read because not reading is not an option.

Follow Us @soratemplates

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts

Contact us

Total Pageviews

Translate