(138)Where You Left Me by Jennifer Gardner Trulson

Monday, August 29, 2011

Where You Left Me
Publication Date: August 30, 2011
256 Pages


It is easy to argue that 9/11 was the worst day in our Nation's history. From sea to shining sea not one person did not have an emotional response of some sort that day.

Jennifer Gardner Trulson felt the loss to her core when her husband, Doug was killed while at his job for Cantor-Fitzgerald. He left Jennifer a young widow with two small children to care for. With more grace and dignity than one could expect Jennifer continued living. Even though she struggled with the guilt of falling in love she did so and found an amazing father in Derek to help her raise the children that Doug left behind.

After 9/11 there was a glut of memoirs that were released. So many people had the same kind of story to share and I assume that writing their story was integral to the healing process. I don't begrudge them that need and I read as many of them as I could. Here we are ten years later and the patriotism has waned, yet the emotions of that day came flooding back to me as I read Where You Left Me.

What makes this memoir stand out over all the others is that Jennifer has a unique perspective to share with us. Her husband Doug was not only colleagues with Cantor-Fitzgerald Chairman & CEO Howard Lutnick, but they were best friends & Howard is the Godfather of Doug and Jennifer's children. For those of you who do not know, Howard was villainized by the media in the days and weeks following 9/11 for certain financial decisions that he made. Jennifer showed us the softer side of her dear friends, Howard and his wife, that helped her survive and navigate the waters that first year after Doug died. She even pointed out that Cantor-Fitzgerald is the only company that lost people that day still giving the survivors financial support, even ten years later.

Jennifer is an intelligent, witty, and fiercely loyal woman who had a story to share and we are lucky enough to be able to read her story. I enjoyed it more than I thought. I will even go so far to say that this was the first 9/11 memoir I have read that I did not cry like a baby. Maybe it was because the author did such a wonderful job telling her story with emotional strength that carried ME through or maybe it is true what they say, time heals.
Lisa Mandina said...

Sounds like a book to read. I always try to go back and remember every year around the date, as I too notice people seem to be forgetting about it. In my life it is the worst day in America, in my opinion. I'll have to put this on my TBR list. Great review.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.