(67)Don't Breathe A Word by Jennifer McMahon

Monday, May 16, 2011

WOW! Jennifer McMahon knows how to write a novel!

Don't Breathe A Word is a novel about Sam and his missing sister, Lisa. Lisa has been missing for fifteen years. After a childhood of fairy tales and being told the fairies lived in the woods, Lisa disappeared into the woods that summer all those years ago, leaving her brother Sam with unanswered questions.

Fifteen years have gone by. Sam is about to become a Father for the first time. His girlfriend Phoebe is everything to him and they are the perfect couple. Until Sam receives a letter from Lisa, she is ready to come back from the fairies. That letter stirs up the memories of that long ago summer and as things unfold, Sam and Phoebe start uncovering the deep, dark secrets of Sam's family. Is the woman who emerged from the woods really Lisa? Where has she been all of these years and was it really the King of Fairies who had her all this time?

At first I did not know what to think about Don't Breathe A Word. It starts off a bit slow and a bit confusing, but the deeper you get into the novel, the more the pieces start coming together. The line between fantasy and reality is definitely blurred, but in a way that makes you believe that maybe fairies really do exist! I really did enjoy Don't Breathe A Word, the last 100 pages had my heart racing and my jaw dropping when the truth became clear. If you pick it up, don't give up, the ending is really worth the read!
Sara Lucinda Bell said...

Have you read Promise Not to Tell?
I read that one and didn't really like it at all so I was wondering what you thought of it and if the others are like it.

Shonda said...

I started reading Don't Breathe a Word tonight. It's really good so far, and a bit creepy! This is the first book I've read by this author after reading glowing reviews about her previous novels.

Charlotte's Web of Books said...

This was my first book by Jennifer McMahon. I enjoyed it, but I can see where her writing style may not be liked by everyone. I do have a couple of her other books, just haven't read them yet.

Cindy said...

I have to read this one!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.