(43)Stay by Deb Caletti

Friday, April 1, 2011

You think that I am a dork now? You should have seen me in high school. Bangs so high they had their own zip code, horribly huge glasses, and a prosthetic hand that was so BIG I wasn't fooling anybody. I didn't date in high school, so books like Stay seem unfathomable to my little naive self. But I am not THAT naive, I know that bad boyfriends happen long before 25 - the age of my first bad boyfriend.

Clara & Christian are an item. They met at a game their senior year. The connection was immediate and unmistakable. Clara is swept up into Christian's charming demeanor. He is very much smitten with Clara and it is obvious to one and all. It doesn't take long though for Christian to become controlling, jealous, and absolutely obsessive about Clara. She is fearful, yet forgiving. Until one day she has had enough. And in the middle of Fred Meyer, she dumps him. But that is not the last of Christian. At what lengths will Clara and her father go to keep her safe?

While Stay is a well written novel, it has a really dark theme. But I think it is critical for teen girls to read this book. You never know who that one girl will be that recognizes herself in Clara & her boyfriend in Christian and ends the terror before it is too late. I will say that the book is a bit confusing at first. It is written in the "Then & Now" style, but there is no clear delineation between the two. It wasn't until 2/3 of the way through the book before I figured out which was which. Overall, though, I really liked Deb Caletti's message and I liked her style of writing. It goes on sale Tuesday, 4/5 so be sure to pick one up for the teen girls in your life.
Anonymous said...

Charlotte,
I was in a car accident last spring and I am finally able to wear my prosthetic leg without too much pain, but I can still only wear it for an hour or two at a time. Do you have any tips for me? How did you lose your hand?

Charlotte's Web of Books said...

I am so sorry to hear of your accident. I was actually born without my left hand. Our situations are a little different as I have never known life any differently. I can't imagine how hard it is for you to get used it it.

I haven't worn a prosthetic in nearly 15 years. I stopped wearing one when my self esteem developed enough to not need to hide the fact that I am "different" if you know what I mean.

In your situation I imagine the functionality of a prosthetic leg is critical.

I *do* remember how hot & sweaty my stump got. Baby powder and surgical stocking over my stump before putting the prosthetic arm home helped alot.

Keep yelling at the doctors if it doesn't fit right. You will know when it is snug enough, but not too snug. If it constantly feels like it is going to fall off, it is not fitted right.

And last but not least, practice, practice, practice. The more you use it the more "natural" it will feel, well as much as it can. The more time that passes the more comfortable you are & soon you will be running, biking, & doing everything you did before the accident.

Stay strong & GOOD LUCK!!!

Lisa Mandina said...

I've never read any of Deb Caletti's books, as many times as I've shelved them at the store and can take a customer right to them though. :-) This one sounds interesting. I may have to pick it up and read it. Did you get it as an ARC? I don't remember seeing it on the shelf at work last night.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.