(154) Squirrel Seeks Chimpmunk by David Sedaris, Illustrations by Ian Falconer

Monday, November 8, 2010

For the second time in a week I have read a prolific "new to me" author. First Bill Bryson and now David Sedaris. I know that I have been living in a literary cave having not read David Sedaris prior to now, so when I saw Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk sitting on the New Release shelf at the library, I snatched it right up.

It was not what I expected. LOL. I was thinking it would be funny stories about animals, well I was wrong. What I got was fables. Insightful social commentary, really, with the characters being animals. Illustrator and author of the Olivia books Ian Falconer lent his talents to this Big Kid's Storybook. But make no mistake, this is NOT a book for children. The illustrations might give me nightmares, I can't imagine what a poor little kid would do.

While Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk probably wasn't the best choice for my first Sedaris read, I did enjoy the fables and the messages that he was trying to get across. I would be interested in seeing what his other works are like, any suggestions as to which one of his works I should read next?
Anonymous said...

Me Talk Pretty One Day is one of my favorites by David Sedaris. Start there. Or Holidays on Ice, given the time of year. It can be hard to find during the holidays at a brick & mortar store, though.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.