(126)Husband and Wife by Leah Stewart

Saturday, August 21, 2010

As, a newlywed, reading about infidelity is hard. I want to live in my fairyland where everything is blissful and perfect. Reading Husband and Wife shakes that blissful world just a bit.

Nathan and Sarah are college sweethearts. Nathan is a fiction writer and Sarah is a Poet under the guise of a manager in an office building. They have two young children and are drowning in credit card debt. They are your typical American couple. Until one day as they are preparing for a night out, Nathan admits to Sarah that he cheated on her. Their world starts to crumble.

Leah Stewart had a poetic way with words. Read what she wrote about turning thirty-five, which I recently did.


Someday I'll look back and thirty-five will seem muh younger than it does now. I don't feel old exactly, though I do, at times, feel weary. But in the last couple of years I've begun to experience the signs of impending age. The stray white hair and the inability to drink more than two beers without a hangover. The bad knee and the cracking in my hip joint and the desire to say "Oof" when I sit down in a chair.


That describes me to the letter. LOL. As soon as I read that, I knew that Leah Stewart was an author who "got me". So to read past page two and see how she deals with her husband's infidelity, well, it was scary. And raw. And emotionally driven.

Husband and Wife is a well written novel with characters so intricately written it could have been you or me. But make no mistake, it is raw with emotion and at times, it felt as if I was intruding on a very private moment. A good book, but be prepared for the difficult subject matter.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.