(122) Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner

Friday, August 13, 2010

Unfortunately a high profile man cheating on his wife is not a new scenario. We have become accustomed to seeing the whole torrid affair being splashed across every media outlet. From famous golfers to the husbands of Hollywood Starlets, infidelity has become very good for the news industry.

In her new book, Fly Away Home, Jennifer Weiner takes a look at what happens to a family when the Patriarch, a US Senator, cheats on his wife. His indiscretion not only changes his life, but his wife Sylvie and their daughters, Lizzie and Diana.

Eventually the three women escape to the old family summer home to try and heal themselves, as well as their own relationships. Growing up in a home with such a public father figure has not been easy for Lizzie or Diana, but with very different results. Their time in Connecticut is necessary for the family's survival. But is it too late to repair the old, and new hurts?

I follow Jennifer Weiner on Twitter. More than once I have thought of "unfollowing her" because of tweets that just smack of a superiority complex. Specifically one tweet directed at my favorite author, Jane Green. Is she entitled to feeling superior as a successful author, eh, maybe, but I am not alone in saying that Weiner's last few books have not always been up to par. Having said all of that, I did enjoy Fly Away Home. Lizzie & Diana are both fabulously flawed characters, but they are strong characters. Well written and easy to like. When it is all said & done, Fly Away Home was an easy story to like even if the author is not.
Shonda said...

The first book I read by her was Best Friends Forever and I was not impressed. I was really disappointed as so many people seem to love her (and her novels). I didn't want to write her off based on one book, so I decided to give Fly Away Home a try. I recently checked it out from the library. I'm looking forward to reading it.

I recently attended her book signing when she came to the DC area. I immediately liked her as she was very engaging and entertaining. Hopefully I'll enjoy Fly Away Home more so than Best Friends Forever.

Charlotte's Web of Books said...

Shon, I am glad to hear that she was engaging in person. That speaks volumes.

I will look forward to reading your review of Fly Away Home.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.