The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

Sunday, July 18, 2010



I have read wonderful reviews of this book from some of my more trusted review sites. I on the other hand, gave it 150 pages before I finally just set it aside. The writing, the story was just not pulling me in.

The concept is unique, a young girl discovers on her 9th birthday that she can taste the feelings of the person who makes the food she eats. By page 150, we haven't gotten past her 12th birthday. I think the story would have held my interest more if the author gave a little background, then jumped to the character as an adult and went that direction. Maybe she does, but I didn't see it coming at page 150.

So, read it if you wish, but it just not a book for me.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.