(104)Sweet Misfortune by Kevin Alan Milne

Monday, July 12, 2010

Do you believe in "happy ever after"? Do you believe that happiness can last a lifetime? Do you think that people can be happy all the time? All are questions that stem from this delightful book, Sweet Misfortune.

Sophie Jones has led a rough life. On her ninth birthday there was a horrible accident killing both of her parents, her grandmother, and another person. Sophie was lucky to get a wonderful foster mother and a foster sister who are still very active in her life 20 years later.

The story starts on Sophie's 29th birthday. She tends to dread her birthday for obvious reasons. But on her 29th birthday, her ex-fiancee shows up asking her for a date. His request sets forth a series of events that clear up some misconceptions for Sophie about what happened that day, but also brings some happiness to Sophie in unexpected ways.

Sweet Misfortune is a most delightful book. The story is well written and very engaging. You ache for the losses that Sophie has had to endure, yet you want to shake her silly because of her stubbornness. But in the end, all you want as a reader, is for Sophie to find her happiness.

When presented with the question "what brings you happiness" my mind went blank. I then changed it to "what brings me joy" and that made the question a little more easy to answer. My husband, my family, my dog, my books... all things I find joyful. Thank goodness I have never had to endure such tragedy as what Sophie had to endure, but hopefully if I do, I can still find the joy in life.
Wingnut said...

I just inhaled this book this week. Bought it and downloaded it to my Blackberry. I generally like to take my time with my Blackberry books because the idea is to have something to read readily at hand.

Couldn't do it. When I got closer to the end, I could not stop. I had to find out the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey would say. I'm still paying for staying up too late on Wednesday night!

Mr. Milne wrote a fabulous story and I can't wait to see what he puts out next.

THANKS!!!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.