(56) The Wild Zone by Joy Fielding

Monday, March 29, 2010


Have you ever finished a book and wondered "What the hell just happened here?" That is the exact feeling I got when I finished Joy Fielding's The Wild Zone. And not in a good way.

I have been a fan of Ms Fielding's for a while. The Wild Zone was a bit of a cluster-duck (trying to keep the language clean) that begins in a Miami bar called The Wild Zone. Kristin is the bartender, her boyfriend Jeff, his brother Will, and Jeff's buddy, Tom strike a bet to see who will get into Suzy's pants first. Throw in an abusive husband, some PTSD, and good old fashioned sibling rivalry and you have the ingredients for a truly far-fetched plot. But wait. There is more. Out of nowhere the last chapter will leave you saying WTF?

Seriously, I am still sitting here shaking my head going, WTF? I usually love Ms. Fielding's novels, but this one was just so over the top it is going to take me awhile to get over it. Not to mention even risking reading another one of her novels. And after reading some of her other reviews, I can see that I am not alone.

Try again, Ms. Fielding. I know you can do better than this drivel.
lovemyspy said...

Oh no! She is my favorite author...I just saw this in B&N this morning and almost picked it up. I guess I'll get it at the library instead.....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the notice, that book will be crossed of my to-read pile!

Blood Rose Books said...

I just finished reading and reviewing this book as well and cluster F*** is a great way to describe this book. This is the first book I have read by Fielding and it didnt leave me with wanting to go back for more.
New Follower
Cheers
http://j9books.blogspot.ca/

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.