(49) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, March 23, 2010


The Graveyard Book would have been a book I would have loved as a pre-teen. It had murder, adventure, and ghosts. What more could a kid want?

Nobody Owens is the only survivor of a murderer who killed his entire family. As a toddler he wandered away from the scene of the crime and into the neighboring graveyard where he is adopted by the ghosts of the graveyard. Bod is given special privileges and powers and spends his childhood playing among some of histories most interesting characters. Including the 33rd President of the United States. Who happens to be Harry Truman and currently resides in the courtyard of his Presidential Library, but I will give Neil Gaiman a pass on that inaccuracy for the sake of "Suspending Belief". *grin*.

The Graveyard Book was fun to read. It is imaginative, well written, and everything a kid could sink their teeth into. The illustrations dispersed throughout the book only add to the magic. I can truly see why The Graveyard Book won the Newberry Award. Congratulations Mr. Gaiman. Well done!
Wingnut said...

Wondering if I could get my 11 yr old interested in a book like this? I might have to see if my local B&N has this.

Charlotte's Web of Books said...

This book is one that I think any 11 year old would have fun with. Let me know what they think.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.