(41) The Department of Lost and Found by Allison Winn Scotch

Thursday, March 11, 2010


I had no idea what The Department of Lost & Found was about when I picked it up to start reading. I have read another book by Allison Winn Scotch and follow her on Twitter so I knew that I would enjoy the book. But when I saw the word "cancer" on the first page, I just shut the book and set it aside for almost a full day. Right now, it just hits too close to home. Someone very dear to me is fighting the battle for her life and I just wasn't sure that I could read about this dreaded disease.


Obviously I did pick the book up again and I am glad that I did. Allison Winn Scotch has written a compassionate, heartfelt story of a Survivor. Natalie Miller is a strong woman leading a successful life. She is a top aide to a powerful Senator and has a wonderful boyfriend, Ned. Then one night Ned finds a lump in her breast and she is diagnosed with breast cancer. Ned leaves her and she is forced to take a break from her job, right before a huge election. She has all the time in the world to take an introspective look at her life. She learns some truths that are hard to learn, but realizes that life is a fragile thing and her life is worth fighting for.


Sometimes it takes a life altering event to wake us up to the life that we have been living and make us aware of the life that we want to lead. I pray, daily, that a cure will be found for Cancer. But if it ever strikes me, my hope is that I have the strength and courage to fight it like Natalie in the book and my Aunt. My Aunt has fought this battle off and on for three years now. I hope that I can live my life half as courageously as she has and fight my battles, health or otherwise, with the same grace and dignity.
Brandie said...

I absolutely LOVED this book. And I love Allison Winn Scotch. She rocks. Can't wait for her next book to be released.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.