(33) Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian

Wednesday, March 3, 2010


Well. How do I put this delicately. Secrets of Eden was not Mr. Bo0hjalian's best work.

Secrets of Eden is a book about domestic violence that one night ends in the ultimate tragedy. Left behind is 15 year old Katie and a few family friends. When the Medical Examiner starts to question what REALLY happened, the story starts to unravel at a rapid pace.

I remember the feeling I had when I finished Double Bind. I was so blown away by the revelation that I actually gasped. I did not have that reaction at all with Secrets of Eden. In fact, it was completely predictable and I had the mystery figured out within a few chapters.

I did like the way the story was laid out though. The book is told in three sections, from four different viewpoints. To avoid risk of giving away the ending, I will not tell you who the four storytellers are, but know that one of the storytellers holds the key to the "mystery".

Secrets of Eden was not the best book I have read this year, but it was not the worst either. Even though I was disappointed, I was not disappointed enough to declare a boycott of all future works by Mr Bohjalian. In fact, I look forward to his next book. It can only get better from here.
(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

i sort of felt the same way. not his best, and i did not like the whole angel focus angle.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.