(90)Story Genius by Lisa Cron

Saturday, October 28, 2017



Like many avid readers there is a part of me that wants to be a writer.  I have probably a dozen half started novels lingering in the bowels of my Google Drive.  I have decided that this year is the year that I participate in NaNoWriMo.  And this is the year that I finish it!  To prepare I have been reading magazines, blog posts, books, and anything else that I can read that will help me reach my goal.

Story Genius: How to Use Brain Science to Go Beyond Outlining and Write a Riveting Novel is one of those books that put me in the mindest for NaNoWriMo.  The author provides some really good strategies for plotting out a novel.   The one piece of advice that really struck a chord with me was the main character.   Lisa Cron really lays out a plan to really develop your main character before even writing one page of your story.  I always had a character sketch, but I had never gone one step further with the character's history.    The other thing that really is going to be useful when I write is a thing called "Scene Cards.".  Each scene needs a Scene Card with these four things - 1. What happens?. 2. What is the effect or consequence? 3.Why does it matter? 4.What is the realization? And what happens next?   I think having the concept of scene cards is going to help me stay organized and keep the book from getting away from me.   The final thing I want to share that I think will be useful was the advice to have the ending planned out before you even write a word.  You don't start a road trip without having a destination in mind, right?  You know where you are going to end up, right?  That is the way it should be when writing a novel.

Bottom line - Story Genius was a really helpful book to read as I get ready to start another NaNoWriMo.  I could have probably have started without reading this book, but I suspect that Story Genius will help me finish NaNoWriMo this year.

Details:
  • Story Genius: How to Use Brain Science to Go Beyond Outlining and Write a Riveting Novel by Lisa Cron
  • On Facebook
  • Pages: 288
  • Publisher: Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony
  • Publication Date: 8/9/2016
  • Buy it Here! 





Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.