(24)Never Let You Go by Chevy Stevens

Tuesday, March 14, 2017


Lindsey Nash got a new lease on life when her abusive ex-husband was sentenced to prison for killing a woman in an automobile accident.  With Andrew in jail,  Lindsey never had to look over her shoulder and she was able to raise her daughter, Sophie, without looking over her shoulder.  Now it in eleven years later and Andrew is getting out of jail. Lindsey is terrified of what will happen when (not if) he finds them.  What she doesn't realize is that the nearly eighteen-year-old Sophie has been communicating with Andrew for a while now and she leads Andrew right to them.   The fear is real when somebody breaks into their house and then when somebody drugs their new dog and then finally when Andrew leaves a gift on Lindsey's car.  Lindsey takes Sophie and runs - will they ever be able to return to the home they have come to love? Or will Andrew ruin it all and force them to live in hiding.

I have enjoyed every novel that Chevy Stevens has ever written and was really looking forward to Never Let You Go and she did not disappoint.  At first,  I was afraid that she had fallen into the "abusive ex-husband" cliche, but there are a couple of twists and turns that remind me that Chevy Stevens is not your average mystery author.  In the years since Andrew went to prison, Lindsey has created a good support network in her boyfriend, Greg, and her friend Marcus, from their support group.  She is not the meek woman she was when married, now she knows how to fight back.  And I love that kind of resilience in a character. I don't like the way she talks to Sophie at times - I know it is out of extreme fear, but it was cringe-worthy.  I don't really care for the boy that has caught Sophie's eye and it frustrated me that Lindsey was too distracted with her own issues to pay attention to who Sophie was hanging out with.  I know it is common for teens to keep secrets from their mothers, but it terrifies me to realize just how much danger Sophie was in without realizing it.  I thought that I had it all figured out, but I was wrong.  I love being wrong when reading a mystery! CLICK HERE FOR SPOILERS! 

Bottom line - Never Let You Go is another gripping mystery from the wildly talented Chevy Stevens.  Between her multi-dimensional characters and the surprising plot twists,  you are promised to find yourself in the grips of a real page-turner.

Details: 


Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.