(15) The Pretty One by Lucinda Rosenfeld

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Pretty One
by Lucinda Rosenfeld 

Publication Date: February 5, 2013
Pages: 304


Even though the Hellinger sisters are well into their thirties, they still are trapped by the old labels they had as kids.  Perri, the take charge, domineering  is the smart one.  She runs her household and her own three children like the captain of a ship.  Single mom, Pia, is the pretty one, she gave up on love and her married lover and went to a sperm bank to have her young daughter.  Single motherhood is not what she expected, but she would not have it any other way. And finally there is Gus, the political one. She just broke up with her long term partner, Debbie, and is a little lost and floundering.

These three sisters are not where they though or hoped they would be at this place in life. They all are struggling with the relationships in their lives, or lack there of. And the interference of the sisters in each other's lives causes even more problems.  Will Perri and her husband, Mike be able to reconcile?  Will Pia ever find Sperm Donor #6103?  Will Gus ever find happiness and will it be with a man or a woman?  And what happens when the sisters discover that there is a fourth Hellinger sister out there?

The Pretty One was a pretty good book.  The dynamics of the sister relationship makes this book such a fascinating read.  They all have such strong personalities and all three of them are a bit trapped by the labels given them all those years ago.  I think Pia was my favorite sister.  I can easily say that Perri annoyed the crap out of me in great detail, but even I started to feel a little empathy towards her later in the book.  I did finish the book feeling like not much had been resolved with the sisterly relationships, beyond the obligatory apologies, but I guess that is the way it goes with most families. Right?



The Pretty One was a pretty good book.  The dynamics of the sister relationship makes this book such a fascinating read.  They all have such strong personalities and all three of them are a bit trapped by the labels given them all those years ago.  I think Pia was my favorite sister.  I can easily say that Perri annoyed the crap out of me in great detail, but even I started to feel a little empathy towards her later in the book.  I did finish the book feeling like not much had been resolved with the sisterly relationships, beyond the obligatory apologies, but I guess that is the way it goes with most families. Right?

Bottom line, I really enjoyed The Pretty One .   Even though they were labeled with the stereotypes of "the smart one" , "the pretty one" and "the political one" all three sisters were unique and had a good dynamic. It was a quick read and a nice distraction from my own family dynamics.  Most definitely worth the read.



Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.