(19) I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella

Monday, February 13, 2012 Layton, UT 84041, USA


I've Got Your Number

Publication Date: February 14, 2012
Pages: 448


To me, Sophie Kinsella is one of those "Hit or Miss" authors.  I absolutely LOVED Can You Keep A Secret?, but could not get into the Shopaholic series to save my life.  I have read other books by her, but found some to be quite unlikable, while others mildly amusing.  But I was ready and willing to give  I've Got Your Number a go and I am SO glad I did!  It was wonderful!!

Poppy Wyatt is engaged to scholar, Magnus Tavish.  She is with her girls at a little pre-wedding gathering when her engagement ring, a family heirloom, turns up missing.  And in an unrelated event, so does her lifeline, her cell phone.   She is separated from her friends and in such a panic to find that ring that when she spots a cell phone discarded in the trash she picks it up (Who DOES that?)  and gives the number to the hotel in case they find her missing ring.

It turns out that the phone belongs to the former Personal Assistant of a very busy, very important executive, Sam Roxton.  Poppy pleads with Sam to let her keep the phone until  her missing ring has been found, as that is the number she gave the hotel, and he agrees.  But in the meantime Poppy must forward all of his emails and texts.  While doing so, Poppy becomes a little too invested in Sam's world, while struggling to survive in her world while preparing for the wedding.  Will she be able to keep her sanity and walk down the aisle?  Or will she discover some truths about herself (and Magnus) that will awaken a whole new world?

There are very few of us who could get by without our cell phones. I know that I couldn't.  If I am not using it to stay connected to the world via Twitter, Facebook, and Taptu, I am using it to stay connected to my family and friends via Words With Friends.   And occasionally I even use it for phone calls.  I thought Sophie Kinsella was very clever in the way she took our dependence on these little gadgets and turned it into  the type of Chick Lit novel that she is best known for.   Once I got past the whole cheekiness (love that British phrase!) of Poppy to just swipe a cell phone that did not belong to her, I found myself enjoying the story.  Her determination to fit in with the Tavish's, her clever way at winning Scrabble, and her general need to butt into Sam's business was all really quite entertaining.

Sophie Kinsella is a very well known author in the Chick Lit genre.  Some even credit her with launching the genre into the successful genre it is today.  Her newest book, I've Got Your Number, just goes to prove that the praise is well earned.  Check it out and let me know what you think!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.