(155) Next to Love by Ellen Feldman

Friday, September 30, 2011


Next to Love 

Publication Date: July 2, 2011
Pages: 304


What an absolutely WONDERFUL book!  I just had to get that out of the way.

Next to Love is a book about three childhood friends.  They have been friends for as long as any of them can remember.  They are new to womanhood and marriage when World War II takes their men off to war.  The strength of their friendship carries them through the war and after when only Babe's husband returns home.  The author follows these three women through the decades as their children grow up, as Millie and Grace remarry, as their lives, careers, and families develop, they remain integral in each others lives.

I can not put into words how much I enjoyed this novel.  The author did an amazing job of taking the reader back to the time where women only worked with their husband's permission and black men could be beaten for riding in a car with a white woman. It was a much different time.  Some would say simpler, but the pressures these women dealt with were anything but simple.  I found it utterly fascinating and really felt as if I were taken back to that era.  I would say this novel is for anyone who enjoys novels about friendship, love, or history.  The author wraps all three up into this amazing little novel.
Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I recently read this book and loved it too. It was nice to turn back the clock and see a glimpse of what life was like then. I look forward to reading more from this author.

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

Great review! I have a copy of this from netgalley, I should read it!

Melissa said...

I was going to pick this up, but decided against it, and instead picked up Twenty Boy Summer...yeah..I should have stuck with Next to Love. Sounds great.

Peaceful Reader said...

I just reviewed this great book and linked to your review as well. Have you read others by this author?

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.