(40)My One and Only by Kristan Higgins

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Kristan Higgins is one of those authors that I have hoarded almost all of her books, but have yet to read a single one. Until now. Let me just say, I have no idea what I was missing out on. Her new book, My One and Only , can be found on bookstore shelves today. I had the opportunity to review an Advanced Readers Copy and I was pleasantly surprised at how FUN it was.

The main character, Harper, is a divorced divorce attorney. She has been burned by love once before, but is playing it safe in the romance department by dating a younger man, "brawny" firefighter, Dennis. She has a plan to propose to him, as she is not getting any younger, and well -- he might as well sh%t or get off the pot. She is literally in the middle of proposing to him when her younger sister calls to say SHE is getting married. For the third time. To Harper's ex-brother-in-law. The thought of seeing her ex-husband, Nick, again has her all sorts of discombobulated. Nick and Harper struggle to make it through the weekend civilly. Then circumstances force them to travel cross country together. Will they be able to make it without killing each other? Will they finally be able to put their hurtful past to rest or will they rekindle the romance that started it all?

I am almost surprised at how much I enjoyed this novel. Harper was a great character. She likes to pretend that she is a hard-nosed divorce lawyer, but really she is as vulnerable as the rest of us. Her straight talking ways, though, make for funny one-liners. I admit to have laughed out loud more than once. Don't let the "romance" label scare you off, Kristan Higgins writes smart and funny Chick-Lit novels. Her writing reads pretty fast, so pick one up today and thank me tomorrow!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.