(127) Summer House by Nancy Thayer

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Our weatherman has assured us that this weekend is the last weekend that Casper will see the 90's. So, I thought I would mark the end of summer by reading one last novel set on Nantucket.

I chose Summer House by Nancy Thayer. I enjoyed Beachcombers so much earlier this summer, that I wanted to read another one of her novels. Summer House was just as enjoyable, except the family dynamic was pretty much awful.

Let's see if I can explain the synopsis. The Wheelwright's are a wealthy banking family that have always kept a summer house on Nantucket. When the patriarch passes away, Nona moves permanently to Nantucket to enjoy her final days. Her two children and their families still spend the summers at the Summer House. Except, Charlotte, one of her granddaughters has started her own "Farmers Stand" using a piece of Nona's land to raise the produce. This ends up causing disharmony amongst her cousins, because they feel Nona is showing favoritism.

The novel goes on to introduce some "black sheep", some scandals, and some news that shocks the family to it's core. Can Nona get the familial harmony she so desperately wants?

There are only a few likable characters in this novel. The rest are selfish ingrates that just makes me want to shake them until their teeth rattle. Even the one character I really like admitted a rather large character flaw in the final pages of the book. I was really kind of disappointed in this book. It just seemed so cliche, full of "rich peoples" troubles. I don't think I will give up on Nancy Thayer, but I will read the synopsis a little more thoroughly before investing my Sunday afternoon reading time.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.