(118) Outside The Ordinary World by Dori Ostermiller

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Outside The Ordinary World took me far longer to read than it should have. More than once I wanted to give up on it, but I knew where the author was going with the story and I wanted to stick it out.

It wasn't the best book I have ever read, but it wasn't the worst either. In Outside The Ordinary World, Ostermiller takes a hard look at infidelity and how it impacts everyone involved. The author flashes back and forth between the mid 70's and the mid 00's. She flashes back from Sylvia as a child in a very devout household observing and playing a part in her Mother's ongoing affair and Sylvia as an adult struggling to justify the emotional affair she is having and contemplating the next step.

It is very obvious that the events of her childhood has influenced her actions as an adult. Sylvia is trying so hard to reconcile what she saw then with what she is living through now. It is almost painful to watch. Outside The Ordinary World is not a happy book, but it is one written from the heart. As the reader, I feel a bit voyeuristic and totally drained emotionally. I am ready to move on to a bit of fluff!

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.