(96) Stuff by Randy Frost & Gail Steketee

Sunday, June 27, 2010

With recent media attention of hoarding through television shows, such as Hoarders on A&E, American's have become obsessed with compulsive disorders. Specifically hoarding.

Stuff takes a fascinating look at specific cases of hoarding and the different situations and experiences that led them to hoarding. From young children to elderly men each case is different, unique and heartbreaking.

As I was reading this book, I kept thinking, "there but for the Grace of God, go I". Just last week I spent nearly seven hours cleaning house and getting rid of clutter. And we have only lived here for six months. Our case was more of laziness in sorting mail, receipts, and such. But given my obsession with buying books and my husband's obsession with all things disc related, it could very easy get out of hand.

I found this book fascination. The author's were very scientific, yet empathetic in sharing the stories of the hoarders. They made it very clear that hoarding is a disease that can only be cured with treatment and time. That little nugget alone makes it worth reading this book. Anytime we can be enlightened on a disease, it is a good thing, in my opinion.
(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I read and reviewed this one as well and found it fascinating. Glad u enjoyed it as well.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.