(28) Life As I Know It by Melanie Rose

Sunday, February 28, 2010


What would you do if you woke up after being hit by lightning to discover that you were someone else? That is exactly what happens to Jessica in Life As I Know It.

Jessica is walking her dog in the park when she is struck by lightning. She awakens in the hospital and is told that she is Lauren, mother of four. She falls asleep again and wakes up as herself. A bit confusing, no? The author straightens it out for us a bit, when Jessica is asleep her life force lives inside of Lauren. When Lauren is asleep, Jessica lives her own life. It is a bit of a time traveler type of book.

Jessica struggles to figure out why this is happening to her, but she has very little time to figure it out when she is Lauren. Lauren has four children and the smallest one is special needs. It doesn't take too long for Jessica to become attached to the children and discover that Lauren, the real Lauren, really wasn't the kind of person she would call friend.

Melanie Rose tries to be lighthearted about the subject matter, while it is far fetched, it is easy to get wrapped up in the drama and the emotions. Jessica is struggling to hold it all together. One fateful day events are set into motion that will bring things to closure. But does it end up to be a "happy ever after" story?

It was a bit hard for me to suspend my disbelief. Once I let my disbelief go and let myself get wrapped up in the story, I was swept away by the very enchanting Jessica, no matter which body she was inhabiting. The ending was wrapped up nicely, but it did not seem forced, so I was pleased with that. Overall, I would recommend the book, but be prepared for the sci-fi element of the premise.
Lisa Mandina said...

Sounds interesting. I would probably enjoy the sci fi bit.

Lara Neves said...

I think this book sounds fascinating. I love a lot of the quotes you have posted recently, too...especially the one about reading what everyone else is reading. Good point. :)

Charlotte's Web of Books said...

Thanks, Lara!

Unknown said...

What a fun blog! "Life as I Know It" sounds really interesting. I'm going to have to check it out!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Sounds interesting. I guess lightning is the new hip literary device, the book I just reviewed is about a man hit by lightning!

Brandie said...

I know this is totally irrelevant, but I really like the cover of this book :)

Charlotte's Web of Books said...

Not completely irrelevant, Brandie. Covers are important when selling books.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.