(70) Evil At Heart by Chelsea Cain (On Sale September 1st)

Thursday, August 20, 2009



How weird is it that I am a big ole chicken when it comes to watching scary movies, yet I absolutely LOVE books that scare the snot right out of me?

Chelsea Cain has done it once again. With Evil At Heart she continues the story of Gretchen Lowell and Archie Sheridan. In the last book, Sweetheart, Gretchen has escaped prison. Now she is on the hunt again. And when bodies start showing up with her signature, Archie checks himself out of the psych ward and tries to find the serial killer.

I am a huge advocate for Chelsea Cain's books. The series is gritty and just downright scary. And when the King of Scream says this about a book:

We've been down Hannibal Lecter Avenue many times, and these two books shouldn't work...but they do. Chalk it up to excellent writing and Cain's ferocious sense of humor."
--Stephen King, Entertainment Weekly | Top 10 Books of 2008


Then you know that you have stumbled upon something wonderful. So many "scary" books have the middle aged white man with mommy issues as the villain. Chelsea Cain has done the complete opposite. Gretchen Lowell is the most beautiful women many have ever seen. But she is a twisted psychopath who will always have a hold over the man who put her in prison.

If you have not read Chelsea Cain before, check your local B&N. Heartsick is currently on our bargain shelves for dirt cheap. Sweatheart will be in paperback by the time you are done reading the first one. Trust me, you will not be disappointed!
Book Bird Dog said...

I love mysteries and thrillers, but serial killers make my blood run cold. Glad you enjoyed this one. After all, it's only a book!

Kristy said...

I just finished my first Chelsea Cain book...Heart Sick. Our mutual friend Greg bought it for me for my birthday on your recommendation. I could not put it down! Gretchen Lowell makes Hannibal Lechter look like a kindergarten teacher. I'm buzzing off to Amazon right now to get more of this series!! Thanks for the recommendation of a new series for me to read!

Charlotte's Web of Books said...

Are you a "True Blood" watcher, Kristy? There was a scene where MaryAnne was sitting at the kitchen table waiting for Tara & Eggs to come home. Heartsick was the book she was reading!

Enjoy the series! Chelsea Cain can't write them fast enough to suit me.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.