(63) Bufflehead Sisters by Patricia J Delois

Monday, July 27, 2009


I have been in somewhat of a slump. It has been a while since I have read a book that I could barely put down. Between the boyfriend & work, I am really lacking in dedicated reading time. So I made the time last night & found myself only getting five hours of sleep. And rather than take a nap between my meeting & my shift today, I finished my book. I *love* books that I can't put down.



Bufflehead Sisters is a book about the family that we create for ourselves. Janet & Sophie met in kindergarten. Janet was the only child of devout Catholic parents. She was raised in a loving, secure, safe home. Sophie was the only daughter of a mentally insane woman and her philandering husband. Janet & her family took Sophie in and gave her the love and discipline she was lacking at home.

The book follows the girls from grade school all the way through high school and into adulthood. And while Janet continues being the "good girl", Sophie takes a different path and in the process destroys all that is good in her life.Italic

While a bit predictable, I have to give kudos to Ms DeLois for creating such an intoxicating character like Sophie. Even on paper Sophie is exotic, haunting, and intoxicating all at the same time. You can't stop reading, even if you DO figure out the "twist" because you are curious at how Sophie will come out of the predicament .

Bufflehead Sisters won't win any literary awards, but her writing and her characters (especially Sophie) could rival any trashy Danielle Steele novel. Exactly the kind of book you want in your bag when you hit the beach.
Katie said...

I'm about to embark on an entire day of traveling by plane. Sounds like this is one I should pick up to help pass the time. Thanks for the rec!

Mimi said...

oooh, that sounds fun! Thanks.
I agree, I've been in kind of a "slump" too - nothing is quite grabbing me.

Latest Instagrams

© Charlotte's Web of Books. Design by FCD.